YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Friday, August 30, 2013

On the subject of fishing

jointed Rapala
When we lived north of Marengo the boys and I would fish the Kish and other small rivers in the area. There are large numbers of northerns in the 15 to 18 inch size there that are fun to catch but no good for eating. Often we would use jointed Rapalas to catch them and as all fishermen know those small northerns are slimy and flip around like crazy when being unhooked. Naturally we would occasionally end up with a hook in a finger or hand. We found the best way to take care of that was to get a good grip with needle nose pliars and just yank it our quickly, kind of like pulling off a bandaid.
This system was working well until one time we were fishing Big Bear Lake in northern Wisconsin. I was using a decent size Rapala and landed a fair northern. While flipping it managed to hook me. I got the fish off the hook after it sunk into me pretty well. True to form I took out the needle nose pliars, got a good grip on the treble hook, and yanked hard, sinking the other set of hooks into my hand when the first set came free. Yep, another well thought out move. Fishing is fun.
Ken