YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Personal board notes from July 18, 2017

BOARD MEETING NOTES... July 18, 2017



Open Forum consisted of A request for a speed bump on Rochester due to speeding and accidents in that area. One gentleman requested the 90 horse motors for boats be denied for lake use. A lady asked the opposite, that the 90 horse be allowed. A gentleman asked our plan for lake remediation next year to avoid another problem like this year.



The AQUA update consisted of Beth Penisis passing out a list of answers to questions from their open house meeting explaining their rate request.



Finance Commission reports our standing at the end of June is Operating Cash $1,979,664.45, Operating Investments $400,142.56, Reserve Investments $3,636,884.16. Total Investments $4,037,026.74 and Total Cash $6,016,691.19.
We are currently under budgeted expense by $52,125.80 and over revenue budget $7,587.14, meaning we came out “to the good” by $59,712.94 this fiscal year at the end of June.
Accounting adjustments for June equal $456.62. Write offs for the month are $35.00



Lake Management indicates they are waiting for information from Floating Island International regarding a proposed natural biofilter for the area above the dip. Clearwater Harvester was out last weekend harvesting a lot of the floating debris and coontail. Milfoil and algae is being chemically treated in house and the skimmer will continue with algae removal as well. If you noticed Clearwater had the same problem as our Ecoharvester. About thirty very expensive hours on the lake, a huge amount of weeds taken from the surface, and still there is much more.



Events reports Vino and Vintage was a huge success. $1,000 was donated to Boone County Animal Services. No incidents in the 4th of July parade. Lake/Links will be August 27th. First Responders picnic will be held September 30 from 5:30 to 7:30 at Dandy Donuts. It will be called Pasta 'Preciation an will be for first responders and their families with food available for purchase by other attendees. Laketoberfest is already rolling with 22 vendors signed up plus 95.3 "The Bull" and Manley Motors already signed on as sponsors. This is an October event.



The Golf Commission had no meeting but Chuck Corso went over the results to date and we are gaining ground, looking better even with the rainy weather.



The Rec. Commission says Karate numbers have dropped in youth class but staying consistant in the adult classes. Summer camp is running 6 to 13 kids per day. 23 dogs are registered for the dog park. The baby pool is maintaining water level so things are fine there after the repairs. Bunco has 18 participants in June. Playgrounds have been mulched. The new pergola is up and looking good.



Public Safety says they are preparing for the August 1st National Night Out event. This is normally a free ice cream evening event for all to meet the members of our Public Safety Department.

The Roads Commission had no meeting but Randy Budreau updated the board on the status of the culvert replacement on Candlewick Drive by Savannah Oaks. Replacement is expected to begin in mid August with plans to finish just prior to the opening of schools. We are going out for bids on the overlay road work to hopefully start around the same time. The 2 inch overlay will continue on Candlewick Drive to Stanford Way plus some patching and shouldering work.



The Golf Course report from Tom Schneider shows conditions are ripe with the rain, heat, and humidity to promote disease on the course but they are remaining proactive and preventative. The weather has also made weed spraying much more difficult but they are doing the best they can.



The Outpost rebuild was again discussed. The blueprints needed for going out for bids have yet to appear so other contractors are being contacted with the parameters of the remodel so they can submit the necessary information and get the ball rolling. We need to get a board vote up or down soon so this can be started by fall if it is a yes vote.



New East Gate signage. All the necessary permits are in place so the manufacturing process can begin. We hope you will be seeing it in three months or so. It will be attractive.



Savannah Oaks clubhouse reports the Youth League will be having a tournament August 5 with lunch afterward. June Pub Trivia has a count of 42 participants. Food sales have been strong. The new driving nets are now up and being used. August 27 will feature a ping pong ball drop and a putting tournament with Lake/Links.



There was a second reading of the policy change for lake horsepower limit. It is proposed to go from 75 h.p. To 90 h.p. The vote was taken and the change was approved with a 5-1 vote. I was the dissenting vote.



There was a second reading of a policy change regarding citations for businesses called in by property owners. The change to the rule passed with a unanimous vote. Now businesses that enter going to more than one property will be personally ticketed rather than the P.O. And if they do not pay in thirty days they will be barred from Candlewick. This is fair,



The AQUA proposal for a rate increase was discussed. Your board has petitioned the ICC for an open hearing so all can be heard on the issue. This will be months away if granted but the ball is rolling.




Be sure to watch for official minutes printed in your Candlewick Paper.

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Personal notes of June 20 Board meeting

BOARD MEETING NOTES... JUNE 20, 2017



Open Forum consisted of a request for changes to the garage sale hours and putting in a rain date, better coverage and reporting on specific topics during the meeting, hosting an AQUA ICC meeting on the rate request, and comments the Outpost rebuild is coming in too high of a cost.



The AQUA update. No rep attended but there will be an informational meeting held June 27th (a Tuesday) at 6 p.m. In the Rec Center. The meeting will explain the infrastructure improvements here and the reason for the rate increase filing.



Finance Commission reports our standing at the end of May is Operating Cash of $1,988,224.80, Operating Investments of $400,185.16, Reserve Investments $3,726,503.20. Total Investments $4,126,688.36 and Total Cash $6,124,688.36.
We are currently under budgeted expense by $40,845.70 and over revenue budget $9,567.29, meaning we came out “to the good” by $56,576.92 at the end of the first month of the fiscal year. Savannah Oaks numbers are not included due to a problem with our accounting software.
Accounting adjustments for May equal $902.68. Write offs for the month are $112.23



Lake Management indicates there is a lot of algae and floating weeds on the lake that is being skimmed by the EcoHarvester. Chemical treatment has begun as well to regain control. The lake biologist has cautioned about treating too much for weeds and destroying the desirable weed beds with the invasive type. Bob Muchos will be taking Tom Pinkowski sr's place as chairman of recreational use of the lake.


May 15th Events report says Lunch with the Easter Bunny had 64 attendees, 31 were kids. The Fourth of July celebration (on July 1) is pretty well set with the band booked, fireworks contract signed, and parade invitations sent. The June 5 meeting report says Mary Gerard went over the plans for the Vino/Vintage and handed out volunteer shirts. The decision was made to leave the garage sales the same way they have been held in the past. (Changes had been considered) Further discussion of the Fourth of July celebration. Parade line up plans are being set and Kathi is looking into a 50/50 raffle with half the proceeds going to next year's fireworks fund. Lake and Links is still somewhat short on specifics but the highlites are in place. Events will handle the horseshoe tournament Dandy Donuts is sponsoring. Dandy Donuts will also be hosting a "Pasta 'Preciation" event September 30th for first responders and their families.



The Golf Commission tells us the May 27th tournament had fourteen teams participating. The new driving nets should be operational soon. May was a problem with weed spraying on the course due to wet conditions but the weed spraying is ongoing. There will be no August tournament set.



The Rec. Commission had no meeting

The Roads Commission had no meeting but Randy Budreau updated the board on the status of the culvert replacement on Candlewick Drive by Savannah Oaks. It is still in the planning stages. The road overlay should be going for bids soon and there are plenty of contractors needing work right now so the timing may be good.



The Golf Course report shows the mowing has lessened due to the hot weather but of course that means watering has increased. Wetting agent was applied. The irrigation system is up and running. Some spots must be hand watered.



The Outpost rebuild was again discussed. Rich Witt indicated we have the drawings for the proposed rebuild and as soon as the blueprints are available the plan is to go out for bids.



New East Gate signage. All the necessary permits were in place but the county decided the sign needs to be downsized or pay for a varience request so the board agreed to a slightly smaller sign with the same appearance. The time frame for completion will now be pushed back some.



Savannah Oaks clubhouse reports their new pizzas are going great. I mentioned last time that I have tried them and they are good! Twelve kids are involved in youth league. Ten ladies are in the new ladies league. Bags league now has ten teams. July 3 there is a golf tournament at 9 a.m. with a $25.00 entry fee that includes nine holes and lunch. July 15 will be the popular "Pub Trivia." It starts at 8 p.m.



There was a first reading of the policy change for lake horsepower limit. It is proposed to go from 75 h.p. To 90 h.p. This will be published in the Candlewick Paper then go for an up or down vote at the next Board meeting.



There was a first reading of a policy change regarding citations for businesses called in by property owners. First reading only, then published, then an up or down vote at the next Board meeting.



The AQUA proposal for a rate increase was discussed. Randy Budreau indicated he will head the plan for a possible ICC hearing and talking points to mitigate the proposal.



The second reading of the policy change was held regarding rental property restrictions. The Board voted to accept the restated policy.



An offer was made to purchase two Candlewick Association owned lots. The Board agreed to negotiate the price because the bid was considered too low.



A resolution was passed to replace some of the equipment in the work-out center as budgeted. This is funded by replacement reserves.



A resolution was passed to replace the HVAC rooftop unit on the Rec Center. It no longer is functional and will be replaced using replacement reserves.



A resolution was passed funding repairs to two of our communication towers. When the cables were replaced some upper sections were found to be deteriorated and needed replacing. Funded from operating.




Be sure to watch for official minutes printed in your Candlewick Paper.

Thursday, June 15, 2017

Sunday, June 11, 2017

Candlewick Kid's Fishing Tournament

Barb Appelhans was kind enough to send these pictures so all of us who didn't make it can see the excited goings on. Tom Pinkowski Sr. spent a lot of time getting this put together. He is a nice guys who gets joy out of the kid's smiling faces. Who had the most fun?.... Tom or the kids!
I am not sure of the names of the winners but they had a great time.









Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Survey results


May 16, 2017 personal board meeting notes

BOARD MEETING NOTES... MAY 16, 2017



Open Forum consisted of testimony asking for higher horsepower on the lake, fundraising activities, the possibility of boat trailers parking on the grass, vacant lot mowing complaints, and in general spending more money on amenities.



The AQUA update indicated we have a new rep, Beth Penisis. She has EPA experience prior to this. AQUA plans to have a town forum soon to explain their proposed rate increase. There may be an ECC hearing as well.



Finance Commission reports our standing at the end of April is Operating Cash of $1,665,449.76, Operating Investments of $400,181.87, Reserve Investments $3,807,082.96. Total Investments $4,207,264.83 and Total Cash $5,872,714.59.
We are currently under budgeted expense by $412,201.00 and under revenue budget $86,657.49, meaning we came out “to the good” by $325,554.35 at the end of our fiscal year.
Accounting adjustments for April equal $450.00. Write offs for the month are $2,765.29



Lake Management indicates there was discussion after property owner requests about raising the horsepower limit on our lake to 90 from 75. The final vote was to recommend to the board to leave the limit as is.
Egg addling is done for the year and it was commented how many fewer nests there are now than when this started years ago. The project is working well! Saturday morning, June 3, there will be a free boat safety inspection for those interested. It will be by the Rec Center and those participating will receive a sticker for their boat indicating the inspection was passed. The same day will be the Bass Tournament. The Kid's Fishing Tournament is planned for June 11th.
The concept plan for the area above "The Dip" is continuing with a new twist. Not a lot of information available yet but my understanding is it is a deep rooted plant to be used and "floating Islands." Don't ask me.... more information to come. It is supposed to be quite effective and a reasonably priced alternative to a lot of excavation work. Still developing.
The EcoHarvestor lift arms do not appear to be strong enough to lift the weight of the cutter wheel so the current plan is to beef up the arms or use a smaller fabricated wheel to avoid damage to the arms again. The machine can be run as a skimmer without the wheel and we will be doing no weed cutting for some time so running it that way is also an option. So far no hydraulic motors have blown since getting it back from the manufacturer but we are not pleased with their work quality so we are going to modify the machine ourselves as necessary in an attempt to make it more durable and effective. Norm Pierce has been looking at it to make recommendations going forward along with our Maintenance Department. Thanks go to him for his important input.


Events had no report



The Rec. Commission says fitness and yoga classes are cancelled until fall. Summer camp enrollment is slow but it is still early. Preschool and after school are about done for the year. Only three new dog tags have been sold for the dog park this year so far. The pool is almost set to go. There will be a summer biggest loser contest due to popular demand.
Moving the sand volleyball, bocce, and horseshoes to Friendship Park is under discussion. The pergola by the Rec Center is being replaced by Crimson Valley Landscaping.

The Roads Commission's meeting was cancelled but road work is to begin shortly after school is out for the summer to avoid conflict with school buses. Microsurfacing, patching, and crack fill will be first. Request for bids are going out for the resurfacing aspect of the project.
Shoulder work will continue as well.



You may have noticed the new Candlewick Bioswale signs going up. This serves the purpose of letting visitors as well as residents know these are not simply areas left unmown, but are part of a lake project.



The Golf Course report shows we are into the season of mowing and maintaining the course. Weed spraying continues and sand traps are being worked on to make them better playing surfaces.



The Outpost rebuild was again discussed. The property owner survey results were reviewed. Rich Witt brought information to the board about a rebuild using the existing structure but replacing the roof profile, removing the old siding to insulate and rewire then replacing it with new siding. Interior renovations, new windows, and more would also be included in the proposal. It would be an attractive, functional building and come in close to the amount budgeted in reserves. Your Board agreed to pursue this option, getting specifics necessary for bidding, putting it out for bids, and getting this show on the road after over two years of information gathering. We want this to move A.S.A.P.



New East Gate signage proposals were discussed. Your Board voted to contract with Image Signs for the new entrance sign. It will be large and eye catching. There will be a light house on each end of the sign and the lighthouse tops will be illuminated just like real lighthouses. You will be impressed as will all visitors. It is expected to be in place in three to four months barring unforseen circumstances. This will make a great first impression for our community.



After discussion regarding the horsepower limit on our lake the board decided to increase the limit to 90 horse to facilitate boats that can no longer be purchased wtih 75s.



Discussion was also held regarding citations being issued to property owners when businesses they call in violate the rules of Candlewick Your Board decided to work on new rules to be discussed at the next board meeting.



There was a first reading of a rule clarifying and restating the stipulations in place and disallowing short term rentals. There will be no action until it is published in our paper and voted on by the board



Savannah Oaks clubhouse reports their new pizza is getting a good reception. (It is good. I have tried it.) There are 36 participants this year in men's league. Everyone seems happy with the new hours. Don't forget the May 27th tournament at 9 a.m.



A zoning change was submitted for the area next to the Dollar General starting across from Candlewick Boulevard. I will post the specifics later this week if you are interested.



A resolution was passed to purchase a replacement vehicle for Public Safety since the old one has seen it's better days. Funds will come from replacement reserves.



A resolution was passed buying a new LED message board for the West gate since it is already budgeted and the one currently there is pieced together from old parts and could again fail at any time. The cost is covered in replacement reserves.



A resolution was passed replacing the old maintenance boat that has been used for weed spraying with a small pontoon boat with a new motor and a boom sprayer to more effectively handle the necessary lake weed control. This will be funded by the replacement reserves.



A resolution was passed using budgeted replacement reserve funds to replace five picnic tables and four benches.




Be sure to watch for official minutes printed in your Candlewick Paper.

Monday, May 15, 2017

Weed treatment phase 2 and Pelicans

Thank you Barb Appelhans for the pictures for the readers to view!

Clarke Aquatics was out today treating the rest of the lake for weeds. This is treatment for the half of the lake not hit two weeks ago. It takes a couple weeks for full results so hold on!


The pelicans didn't seem to mind. Barb thinks they came in to ride out the evening storm.


Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Dale Mediema Sunday Smile


 An elementary teacher was teaching the children about whales, when a young girl raised her hand. and explained that she learned in her Sunday school class, that a man named Jonah had spent some time in the belly of a whale. The teacher replied that there was no way that could be true, because even though the whale is a huge creature, it's throat was very small, and there is no way something as large as a man could fit down it's throat. The little girl thought for a moment and said "Well, when I get to Heaven, I'll find Jonah, and ask him if it's true". The teacher smiled and said "but what if, you know, Jonah went to Hell?"  The little girl quickly replied "Well, then YOU ask 'em"......

Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday, May 5, 2017

Skimmer is out on the lake again

Sonny has it out cleaning up the algae again. Now if it keeps running and the treatment does it's job we should have the lake looking good again by the end of May. If it is windy don't expect to see it out there. We are going to treat this like a baby to avoid further problems. The Ecoharvester is very hard to control in the wind and we don't want it blowing into the shallows.
Ken
Thanks to Barb Appelhans for the picture

Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Here goes nuthin"

Thank you Barb Appelhans for the pictures!

Clarke Aquatic employees are out on our lake treating for weeds. It takes around ten days to get the full effect from the treatment and only half the lake is treated at a time. In a couple weeks the second treatment will be coming going along the dam and the north side of the lake. The Marina, Beach, Dip, and Fisherman's Cove side of the lake are done. It had better work. I can't even get my pier in this year. Hopefully our boat will be in by June. This Milfoil is bad stuff but going forward we should be on top of it.

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

April 18 Board Meeting Notes

BOARD MEETING NOTES... APRIL 18, 2017



Open Forum consisted of complaints about the shortened Savannah Oaks Clubhouse hours and allowed boat motor size (wanting larger motors allowed). The decision was made later in the evening to allow later hours if there are sufficient numbers of patrons to stay open. Larger boat motors were first not allowed at all, then it was decided they could be used here if they used only trolling motors, next if they went only at idle. Now they are wanting to go the speed limit. Do you see any pattern here? The current limit is 75 horse. The Outpost was discussed as well. An idea was put forth of ways of funding using donations, buy a brick, etc as sources. Long range planning was suggested since we no longer have a long range planning commission. Possible partnering with other entities in a regional plan.



The AQUA update indicated they are going for another rate increase. The filing will be for a 13% increase but they know going in this will not happen. (This is the way the game is played. They go in purposely high and the ruling body cuts it back, indicating how well they are watching out for the rate payers. It is a joke in my opinion.)



The dues reduction raffle drawing was held with 5 winners receiving a credit of $562.00 from their dues. The winners are Dave Rasonova, Placo, Tamera Wyman, Tyler Ramsey, and Frankie Sierra. CONGRATULATIONS!


Finance Commission reports our standing at the end of March is Operating Cash of $1,080,205.95, Operating Investments of $400,178.58, Reserve Investments $3,796,449.66. Total Investments $$4,196,628.24 and Total Cash $5,276,834.19.
We are currently under budgeted expense by $187,496.17 and over revenue budget $101,538.22, meaning we are “to the good” by $289,034.39 fiscal year to date.
Accounting adjustments for February equal $450.00. Write offs for the month are $86,045.04 (some year end accounts clean up)



Lake Management indicates Clarke Aquatics is still on schedule with starting the weed treatment the end of April or first of May. They found the Milfoil we have is a hybrid so we know what we are dealing with. In discussions with Joe Rush (biologist) it was determined we should also use a chelated copper solution to knock the algae from the weeds for better absorption of the chemicals used in the treatment. This will cost about another $2,500.00 but to get the weeds under control it will be a small price to pay.
The skimmer was picked up this Monday after repairs and maintenance. It will not be used for weed cutting at the present due to the upcoming chemical weed treatment. It will be used for algae removal as needed.
Egg addling started April 8th, with 8 nests found containing 33 eggs, meaning 33 less resident geese in the future. More discussion on invasive species affecting our lake and the importance of not allowing this to happen with boats coming back from other lakes carrying the material. A concept plan development is still in the planning stages, looking toward a vegitative plan to filter nitrates from the runoff before entering our lake. Tom Pinkowski Sr. is putting together plans for the Kid's Fishing Tournament. He is seeking donations of time and money needed to put on the event. Fish shocking is scheduled for the last week in April to see what our stocking needs will be for the upcoming year as well as the general health of our fishery.
There was much discussion on allowing higher horse motors to run at normal speed on our lake rather than just at idle. Research will continue on the topic and there will be further discussion at the May meeting.


Events tells us the Easter Bunny lunch went over well. Vino and Vintage already has 30 vendors signed up. There will be a volunteer sign up sheet at the next meeting. Kohls in Rockford and Machesney park have approved the event and if they get five volunteers from each store a $500.00 donation will be given from each. (Way to go Mary!) Fourth of July planning is starting with the band being selected and the fireworks contract being set.



The Rec. Commission says youth Karate numbers have been holding steady with the adult classes increasing. Pub Trivia had 19 participants.




The Roads Commission recommends contracting with Schmitt Engineering for services regarding some necessary culvert replacements. The proposed paving this season will be a 2" overlay Candlewick Drive from Briarcliff to Rockaway plus two patches and one overlay section on Candlewick Boulevard. Microsurfacing is set for to begin June 5th with the crackfill accomplished prior to the microsurfacing.



The Golf Course report indicates a pre-emergent crabgrass preventer has been applied to handle the problem we had with it last year. The course is looking good, a little wet, but very playable. Sand traps are smoothed and all is ready.



The Outpost rebuild was again discussed. Our General Manager wrote a series of simple questions that will be part of an on-line survey as well as published in our upcoming paper to get a handle on the preference of the property owners regarding how they would like to proceed with the project. The board reviewed the questions for non-biased framing and authorized the survey. The project if built with an added pavilion will go well over budget so before possibly proceeding it is important we have the P.O.s input.



New East Gate signage proposals were discussed. Information was received from Image Signs. Signs Now declined to give an estimate and ShawCraft asked for payment to design suggestions. The Image Signs information was passed along to the board for review. Image Signs constructed the Savannah Oaks sign. No action at this time but the board needs to be in the loop as we proceed. We expect to have a solid proposal at the next meeting.


Savannah Oaks clubhouse is now open with an new oven, painting finished, tile replaced, and all cleaned up for the new season. A new pizza will be tried this year that they say is comperable to Pizza Hut pizza. Men's league starts May 4th. May sixth will feature the first tournament. Ten a.m. Shotgun start, $25.00 entry fee. Two person scramble. May 25 will start youth league sign-ups with a tentative start date of June 8th. May 27th will be the Memorial Weekend tournament with another 2 person true alternate shot, $25.00 entry fee, and a nine a.m. shotgun start. New driving nets are planned for May purchase. Another attempt will be made to start a woman's league this year. Sign up sheet will be in the club house.



The Caledonia Road clean up is scheduled for April 25, next Tuesday. Want to help? Meet at the West gate at five p.m.
Candlewick Clean up Day will be April 29th (rain date the 30th) and help is always appreciated. Just show up at the rec center and we will have the bags and hopefully enough grabbers. Want to start Friday? The Rec Center will have what you need.


A resolution was passed funding the use of a copper chemical mix along with the proposed weed control chemicals to aid in absorption and better results.



A policy change allowing disabled folks to fish without a Candlewick permit had it's second reading and passed.



A resolution was passed retaining our current legal council for another year.



A resolution was passed regarding replacing the Pergola at the Rec Denter with what should be an almost maintenance free aluminum frame, vinyl exterior unit. This is a reserve funded item.



A resolution was passed to purchase a road shoulder retriever to be used in house with our ongoing roads projects. The retriever will help with the shouldering of the roads, diminishing the amount of water seeping under the roads causing damage. Funded from reserves.



A resolution was passed hiring Schmitt Engineering to handle engineering work for two culvert replacements. This is a reserves funded expense.



For any reading this and not understanding what reserves funding is, that term indicates monies have been added yearly to the replacement reserves fund to use to replace things we have already added as they wear our or need replacing. Your dues normally have already covered those expenses to a great degree or completely. It is planning ahead.




Be sure to watch for official minutes printed in your Candlewick Paper.

Monday, April 10, 2017

Just look at all of them!

Thanks to Barb Appelhans for the picture of a flock of pelicans. It seems there are more every year. I love living where there is so much wildlife.

Saturday, April 8, 2017

Easter party fun at the Rec Center

Thank to Barb Appelhans for the great pictures. Looks like they had a lot of fun.
The Easter Bunny ( Gigi Burke)


Lots of music too!

Plenty of good food for all

FIND THOSE EGGS! Good turnout 

Saturday, April 1, 2017

POLAR PLUNGE CRAZY FOLKS.

Thank you Barb Appelhans for the pictures to share.  Ken


Bonfire and food, yes... 50 degree water I think not. That's just me though.


Monday, March 27, 2017

Congratulations Dandy Donut Lakeside


Click on the following link. Some serious work went into this event. Dan and Mary, this is the way to market our community!
Ken
http://lakesidemarketplace.dandydonuts.com/

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

March 21, 2017 Board meeting personal notes

BOARD MEETING NOTES... MARCH 21, 2017



Open Forum consisted of a gentleman who felt I had mis-characterized him during the annual meeting. If that was the case it was unintentional. Most of the rest was support for going with the $419,000 plus Outpost rebuild.



The AQUA update indicated not much new happening during the winter but they had money put away for manhole work in the areas we do our road project. Pat Wren gave the report.



New officers were elected. The results follow...
President Ken Dillenburg
Vice President Rich Witt
Treasurer Jeff Lutzow
Secretary Randy Budreau
Randy Budreau was appointed to the ECC as a new member.


Finance Commission reports our standing at the end of January is Operating Cash of $1,040,865.57, Operating Investments of $399,593.84, Reserve Investments $3,804,751.75. Total Investments $4,204,345.59 and Total Cash $5,245,211.16.
We are currently under budgeted expense by $174,575.44 and over revenue budget $87,298.89, meaning we are “to the good” by $261,874.33 fiscal year to date.
Accounting adjustments for February equal $92.86. Write offs for the month are $69,738.16 for the Boone County owned lots.



Lake Management had a presentation from Clarke Aquatics about the upcoming Milfoil treatment plan. This as well as the skimmer update can be found on this blog down a couple posts. Egg addling will start April 8th. Volunteers needed. Show up by the Rec Center at 9 or slightly before. A sub-commission will be formed to help with the kids fishing tournament this year. Concept plan for above the dip is coming along slowly.


Events asks the board to set up a booth during the Vino and Vintage event and if the board members would man it. I indicated could not help man it but the bosrd authorized it and some members plan to help. Kathi Smith was elected Chair of the commission with Pat Bartels vice-chair and Mary Gerard secretary. Valentine Bingo had 75 participants. Dandy Donuts sold food and donated all proceeds to the Fireworks Fund for the Fourth of July. (Very generous) Lunch with the Easter Bunny tickets are now on sale.



The Rec. Commission says they are having problems with instructors being present as needed for the fitness classes. Karate remains popular and after school runs 12 to 21 kids. Bunko is April 15th Pub Trivia is March 25. Biggest Loser has 28 signed up. Polar Plunge is April 1st at 6:30 p.m. (Fitting it is on April Fool's Day!)



The Roads Commission indicates the decision was made to patch Candlewick Boulevard this year instead of overlay so both inbound and outbound can be done the same year. Roads being given microsurface will be patched before microsurfacing. McClure Engineering is to indicate what is needed for the culvert replacement by Fishermen's Cove.


Communication Commission reports they are still working on the "Anything that Floats" race. The first promotional newspaper ad of the year will appear April 7th.



The Golf Commission had no meeting, no quorum established.



Public Safety says the stop signs at the gates will remain. There will be a drug prevention presentation by Sergeant Dave Dammon of the Belvidere P.D. April 13th at 6 p.m. In the Rec Center.



The Outpost rebuild was again discussed. No firm plan as of this date.



We are waiting for more information from Shawcraft Signs regarding costs and possible proposals for a new East Gate sign. A meeting was also held with Image signs and we are waiting for proposals from them, probably ready for discussion at the April meeting. They built the Savannah Oaks sign.


Savannah Oaks clubhouse is of course currently closed, no report.


A resolution was passed contracting with Turf Maintenance to again handle the contracted grounds maintenance this year.



A resolution was passed authorizing inspection and repairs on our tower guy wires by Prime Time Audio/Video. The tower in Maintenance is missing wires as well as the same situation at the South gate. All of our towers will be inspected and repaired as necessary. This is a liability issue, stability is a must.



A reso was passed hiring McClure Engineering for oversight of our road project this year.



The Boone County Arts Council thanked us for sponsoring the Music in the Park performance upcoming later in the year by the Rec Center.




Be sure to watch for official minutes printed in your Candlewick Paper.

Friday, March 17, 2017