YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Friday, January 11, 2013

Something I should always mention (Finance Friday)


When I discuss stock ideas my thoughts are for short term trading, normally no more than a few weeks holding at the very most. There is an old saying in the market, “Bulls make money and bears make money, but pigs get slaughtered.” What that means is not to be greedy, take your profit and run. The way I look at it is if a person goes with a five year CD and is lucky enough to get and APY of 2% why should you expect 20% return on a stock? If you buy a $25.00 stock and it goes up a dollar per share you have made 4% on your investment. Hopefully you can do better but even 4% isn't bad for a couple weeks. Annualized that is 104%. If it gets near 8% my finger gets itchy on the sell button. How would you like a CD earning that?
There is something called a limit order. That means you are putting in a sell order (or buy) but it will not fill until the price hits your entered price. In the above example for 8% gain you would enter a limit sell of $27.00. Many times a stock will fluctuate over a dollar in a day of trading so you want to be ready if your price is hit. One must also learn to take a loss if the market is against you. Don't just keep riding it down. Of course commissions are a factor as well but for under $20.00 total for buy and sell it is not a big deal.
I am never sure if people like what I am posting without feedback. If you enjoy some of the occasional investment analysis please drop me an email so I know this is not too far off topic for the blog. There are slow news days to fill but I don't want to bore you either.
Ken Dillenburg