YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Off Topic. From personal experience

 This month's "The Atlantic" magazine had an article called "Awakening" In which it describes some people's experiences waking up during surgery. They estimate this happens to one or two out of a thousand surgeries and can be very traumatic, leaving permanent emotional scars with some. I was one of those lucky souls that has such a memory.
  When in my forties I underwent gall bladder surgery. It was not the new type laparoscopic, it was the old slice and dice and I have the long scar to prove it.
  I remember being wheeled into the room with the bright lights above me and the anesthesiologist administering something then telling me to count back from ten. I made it maybe three or so numbers then a buzz and all was gone. Time has no meaning during anesthesia but suddenly I heard people talking. Someone entered the room and said "Good news, no sign of cancer." The others in the room commented "great", or something to that effect. I remember it so well because I had no expectation of any cancer and it is possible they were speaking of another patient they had earlier but I know what I heard. That was the statement I remember best but I am sure there was more conversation. There was no pain at all and I could not move a muscle, which is a very odd feeling. I did know with clarity what had been said.
 I can't say this was really traumatic to me but believe me it was memorable. I spoke with my doctor about it when I went in to have the incision checked after my time in the hospital. He really didn't want to discuss it, that was obvious, so I dropped the matter. The article just brought it to mind again.
Ken