YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The confidence factor

 
I want to tell you a little story about a situation that shakes one's confidence in the medical establishment. I will be going in May 29th for a surgical procedure that I have been putting off and dreading. We will leave it at that. I will also not mention the hospital or doctors involved. Those facts are not necessary.
  The surgery was set to go and I was told I would be getting a call to go over the pertinent information. The call came about when I was told to expect it so that worked fine. From there it all went downhill. I take two medications for the A-fib and blood pressure. They had the wrong dosage for each in the system. Then came the daily aspirin. It was again the wrong dosage on their record. Next came the health conditions. It seems according to their records I have COPD. That is surprising since I can out walk many people, easily climb stairs, and carry bags of water softener salt. The caller said they must have my chart mixed up and put in the wrong items. Some were right and some wrong. Thank the Lord they called to verify the information prior to surgery. All my health information is electronically stored for access by my doctor and hospital so what is going on? I have had the same family doctor since my 20s.
 Friday I received in the mail a notice I would be called May 15th for the interview. As I said, it came in the mail Friday the 17th and was postmarked the 16th (one day after I was to receive the call). It also had highlighted in yellow the time I am to arrive at the hospital. It is a different time than I was told during the call. They also scheduled an appointment with my general practitioner the 24th. I have no idea why. He has no involvement in the situation. 
  All this shakes my confidence in the entire procedure. I am going through with it but with a lot more apprehension than I would have had without all the errors. One of those rock and a hard place scenarios.
 K-K-K-Ken