YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Rich Witt..... back hiking again!


(Sent by Rich Witt)
Ken:
Just a point of interest from the Witt Trail.
Saturday morning after helping with the egg addling, I felt that  maybe there were some goose nests in the wet land
below the dam and beside the Witt Trail. I am always up for a "walk about" so off I went to the trail.
What a wonderful walk. I saw that the rains had washed out some of the mulch and the winter had done what I had expected.
As I walked down the trail the bird sounds and song became very loud even to the point that it interrupted my intended walk.
There were birds everywhere and all of them had something to say. I had to sit on one of the benches and just listen.
After a few minutes I saw a pair of geese swimming on the stream that goes to Boone County Lake. So my day dreaming
stopped and off I  went across the wet land to where the geese are swimming. As I got closer I saw some birds that I have
NOT seen at Candlewick Lake. There were 3 Sand Hill Cranes In the wetlands feeding on bugs and stuff. They did not stay there long
but they did fly directly over my head and they looked great. Then they added to the noise of the other birds with their
sounds. The geese on the stream did not fly they just swam to  the other side of the stream, about 10 feet away. I looked for a nest
with no luck so I walked around to a place where I could cross the stream. The water in the stream is very clear and the little fish
in the stream scattered when they saw me. I worked my way back down to where the geese were and again they did not fly they just swam
away to the other side of the stream again. I still did not find any nests. I then continued my walk into the brush and there I saw 5 deer
and again they did not run they just walked a few steps and watched me. It was a wonderful "walk about" and it is all right here in Candlewick Lake.
Then when I got home Susan wondered where I had been so long and why I looked so happy. After I told her what I did she understood.
Every time I think about the loud songs from all of the different birds I get a smile on my face. As for the Sand Hill Cranes that was a bonus.
Just a Resident of Candlewick Lake