YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Guns and violence, where lies the blame?



Some of my best memories are hunting with my Dad when I was a kid. He taught me to respect a gun and how to use one. I was given my first rifle at the age of 12. In the rural community where we lived guns were a part of life but crime with guns just didn't happen. It was the culture. Not once in my life have I considered committing a crime with a gun, much less killing innocents.
During my high school years the school actually had a shooting range in the basement where one could earn medals for marksmanship. Once we were taken to Fort Sheridan in Chicago where we shot 30 caliber M-1 rifles on the range. I know of none of us who turned into killers.
My three sons were brought up hunting and knowing how to use guns as well as the necessary respect for the same. Now all my grandsons hunt. Do I worry about them committing crimes with guns? Not for a second. I worry about hunting accidents but never about purposeful wrongful use.
No, I am not for extreme gun control. We need the ability to protect ourselves from those bent on committing crime as well as for hunting and sport shooting. One area I will admit I think needs to be handled is the possession and sale of assault weapons. I have never heard anyone give a logical reason why citizens need military weapons and high capacity clips and magazines. My feeling is ban them altogether. They are needed in society about as much as one needs to drive a 1000 horsepower dragster on the streets of Rockford. Either a car or truck is just fine for that need.
We have all heard the saying “guns don't kill people, people kill people” and that is true. No matter what legislative action is taken there will always be those bent on not only the kill but the publicity given them after the act. I say pass a law making it illegal to publicize the name or the picture of any person perpetrating a mass killing such as just happened in Newtown. Refer to them in print as “the mentally disturbed individual” or some other description demeaning them, not giving them the recognition so many of them crave. Of course this will not happen. The media loves blood and guts and will continue to work the story for weeks citing freedom of the press and right to know. Sad.
Ken Dillenburg