YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Monday, December 31, 2012

An ice fishing story


(not Louie's but the same idea)
At one time my next door neighbor was Louie Rowe. Some of you may remember him. He is a heck of a nice guy. Anyway, getting on with my story, I am not an ice fisherman and Louie knew that. That wasn't stopping him from getting me out there on the ice.
Louie had a very nice wooden ice shack he built with windows and even runners on the bottom. It was well insulated and really warm due to the kerosene heater he kept in it. He had an ATV he would hook up to the tongue of the shack and off he would go, looking like a train in the semi- darkness of early morning.
Finally he talked me into going out with him on the ice. I would sit in the shed and bounce across the uneven surface as we headed for the old Whiting Road roadbed, where he used to like to fish. I'll admit it was fun but ice fishing is just not my thing. He did teach me well though and I appreciated it.
One early morning he went down to the shack on the lake and lit the kerosene heater to get it warm. He then went up to his garage to drive the ATV down to hitch up. He started across the lake and on the way, unbeknownst to him, the shack caught on fire. He was enjoying his trip across the lake not knowing inside his shed was a fireball probably lighting up the lake. He came to the fishing spot and as luck would have it the shack was well insulated enough the fire had gone out on it's own, probably from lack of oxygen. His corn broom for sweeping snow away from the ice holes was nothing but a handle and about six inches of sweeper. None of his fishing poles had line, all being burned out. He was a lucky guy! Lesson learned. I don't think he ever lit the heater ahead of time again.
Ken Dillenburg