YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Friday, September 27, 2013

Thinking about our lake

These are of course just thoughts so please don't infer any upcoming action on the subject. 
We have worked on this lake for years and it seems it will be a fight forever since it is not a natural body of water. In the 27 or so years I have lived here I have witnessed dredging at least three times, a retention pond, channeling water from fields, free standing aerators, line aerators running across the bottom of the lake from a compressor in the pump house, thrusters, two alum treatments, sanitary discharge moved to Beaver Creek, and I am sure more that I can not pull from my memory right now. All these were to help water clarity and quality. Now we are moving to landscaping and plantings with hopefully help from a grant. Also now the possibility of SolarBees for water circulation. It boggles the mind. The thrusters now in the dip have proven troublesome.
Our alum treatment in the spring was effective as we all remember, only to be tempered by many inches of rain, runoff from fields, and AQUA pumping. Even with this happening our lake was unquestionable better than last year. That says something. We were told the alum locks the existing nutrients in the bottom of the lake, and the existing phosphorus was one of the major contributors to algae growth. Almost all the lake should have now available to feed algae is what is from this year. Next summer may actually prove better than this year for quality. We just don't know. Every spring the lake is quite clear then builds until a later bloom. Actually as I write this if I walk out on our pier I can see down about three feet so it is clearing for the fall.
As I understand it the SolarBees take water from the lower level of the lake and redistribute it, disrupting the environment for algae growth. There is some concern that they also pump nutrients from the bottom into the upper layers, feeding the algae. I think there is more we do not know that what we know.
I see some smaller ponds and reservoirs using fountains. Is that another avenue?
O.K., I will end this too long post. Just getting some thoughts and worries off my chest. We are spending a pile of money on your lake and I want it spent wisely. We must have an acceptable water quality or our lake is worthless. At what price???
Ken