YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Thursday, September 5, 2013

Are you a smoker? Do you use a cell phone?

Starting January 1, 2014, if you are caught flipping a cigarette butt out the window of your car it is considered littering (which it is) and the fine is up to $1,500 for the first offense. When someone hits the third offense the fine can be $25,000.00 plus imprisonment. You know how I feel about littering but this seems a little extreme even to me. That is Illinois.
The next law does affect me. Using a cell phone in a car while driving unless it is a hands-free device is illegal in Illinois on the same date. The fine? $75.00. I have already ordered a hands-free set but this is still a pain. What do you do if the phone rings and you are not wired up? I guess you ignore it.
Ken