YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

I know, it is probably just me

Schools in the area have been closing early this week due to "excessive heat." This has always made me scratch my head. A couple points........
Schools never used to close for heat back when this old fuddy-duddy went to school. This is a new phenomenon. Letting school out early is a serious problem with both parents working and now scrambling to find someone to watch the kids for those couple unforeseen hours. Why in the world don't the schools simply close the same way they do for a snow day and use a snow day or tack it on to the end of the school year? I realize having the kids come to school allows the schools to get the full state aid per pupil for the day even if they leave early but should that be the priority or should it be the full day of teaching?  I know my opinion.
I realize this heat wave is after Labor Day but why in the heck don't they start school after Labor Day, avoiding the almost immediate holiday, and possibly avoiding the heat of August? Common sense.
Ken