YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Kind of off topic for CWL, but maybe not

For years I have had trouble with algae growing on my roof. This is caused by government regulations about what materials now go into shingles. That is why in the past you didn't see all of the what appear to be dirty, unsightly roofs.
I had been power washing the junk off but you really are not supposed to do that because it knocks off the granules that are necessary to shingle longevity.
Luckily I have a roofer as a neighbor and I was discussing this problem with him. He said just have zinc strips installed. This was completely new to me. He told me where to get them and I asked if I bought them if I could pay him to install them. He agreed.
It seems tiny amounts of zinc leech from the strips with rainfall and algae can not tolerate zinc. My problem is solved, thanks to a knowledgeable neighbor. One strip along the top row on shingles, that is it!
Thought you might want to know.  Ken