YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Our loss of the Eagle's Nest

I believe this is the fifth operator of the Cafe if we include the beginning when Candlewick tried to run it ourselves and lost our shirt in the process. A restaurant is a very tough business. Some of those we have leased to have been very experienced operators and none have been able to make a go of it.
Now the second guessing starts. She should have done this... she should have done that. Come on, it was her business and it was her right to run it as she pleased. Any of us who have owned businesses have had people explain what we are doing wrong constantly. I remember it well when this would happen to me. My business was doing fine but they were sure I was making mistakes. If it is so easy try running one yourself some time. As you can see, this is a sore point with me. Let someone come to your home and explain how you should be cleaning or tending your yard. Not pleasant.
Francine did everything she could think of to make it THE place to eat but the residents just do not seem to want to support a restaurant in Candlewick. Think of the money she spent on redecorating and signage alone. It certainly was not a personality problem. She and her family are very nice people. Fran and I ate there at times and I took my sons there a few times but not as much as we should have.
Some locations simply are not good for a business. Think of the Custard Cone across hiway 76. Fran and I went there at times for custard and it was always good plus the employees and owners were always friendly and anxious to please. After the first year or two I would guess they decided the custard wasn't going to be enough to sustain the business so they expanded their outside eating area and tried pushing their food harder. What happened? After another year or two they decided to close. I don't personally know those people but I am sure it was a real disappointment to them. One never knows why these things happen.
There are many reasons I have heard why the Eagle's Nest didn't pull the necessary traffic and many are probably valid. Often when going out to eat that is not your only stop so you are already on the road and eat elsewhere. It is a long walk from parking to the restaurant for a lot of seniors who eat out. If it is raining, snowy, cold, too hot, icy, you name it people do not want to walk that distance to get inside to eat. Some want more of a Culvers or McDonalds type restaurant. Some want more upscale food.
I am sure there are more reasons but for myself I am convinced Candlewick will not support an eating establishment when so many have failed while trying their best. I also am tired of seeing good people sign on the dotted line happily thinking this will be a real profit maker for them only to see the dream fade along with their bank accounts. 
Your board will have to make a decision of where to go next with this but for myself I think it is time for a new use for that area of your Rec Center.
Obviously only one board member's opinion.