YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Monday, February 3, 2014

Those tiny acts of kindness

 I was visiting Mom on Sunday afternoon. As most of you know, she is in an assisted living facility in Rockford. As I was walking down the long hall on my way out there were two very old ladies hunched over their walkers, one obviously in distress. As I approached I could tell by the conversation one had the lens out of her glasses. I stopped and popped the lens back in for her. It took maybe fifteen seconds. You would have thought I gave the woman a million dollars by her reaction. The frame was badly bent and I could do nothing about that for fear of breaking them. I told her my fingerprints would be on the lens so she would have to clean them. Her comment was "That's all right, at least I can wear them." A feeling of sadness washed over me. Obviously she is not being cared for by her family or the frame would not have been left like that. She continued to thank me as I walked away. Such a little thing that meant so much to her. She may have taught me a lesson. The tiny acts of kindness could make someone feel cared for. I forget that at times. Maybe now I will remember.
Ken