YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Friday, February 14, 2014

I have always been a romantic

 It started so nicely. Fran met me in the hallway this morning and gave me a little kiss, wishing me a "Happy Valentines Day." She then reminded me this is our fiftieth Valentines Day together. We were dating on the first one.
From there things went downhill. She asked if I remember the first card I bought her. An uneasy feeling crept into my lower stomach. Do you remember what it said? She asked.
I don't remember the verse but I knew what was coming. She told me she remembers it well. We were driving down Blackhawk Road south of Rockford when I handed her the card and told her to open the glove compartment so she could see it with the light.
As she reminded me again today, the card was one you would give to parents. I guess I just liked the picture or something about it but she is sure I didn't read the verse. 
I don't know if I got her anything else but that card has been the baine of my existence every Valentines day for fifty years now. Hey, at least I got her a card and it must have worked. We are still married and I know I am the lucky one.
Even the Naysayers know it. Some time ago one of them made the statement that Fran has to be a saint to have stayed with me. (He was right!)
Ken