YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Monday, October 10, 2016

Between the devil and the deep blue sea!


 We have lived here about thirty years and I have never had weeds by my pier as I have this year. I know why this is but I swear you can't win. Do we want cloudy green water or do we want to be choked with weeds? We have made tremendous progress with lake water clarity but now we are paying the price with weed growth due to sun penetration. As I have mentioned before, next year we have to go back on a spraying program to control the weeds along with the skimmer to handle the algae and some of the weeds. I have received weed complaints for about three months and believe me I feel your pain. I have tried raking them out but many are rooted and the floaters are stuck on the rooted ones. I am actually afraid to wade in to take out my pier for fear of getting tangled in the weeds and falling. And so it goes!
  Some years ago when the kids were young we rented a cabin in northern Wisconsin most years, normally in early June. One year we decided to do so later in the summer. The weeds were incredible so I guess they have the same problem. Gin clear lakes and too many weeds.