YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The rites of spring

Shimano

Well, Sunday I took the time for my spring ritual. I cleaned my trusty rods and reels, replacing line as needed, and I am ready for that first cast off our dock. The lake should open around March 23rd if history holds true.
 About forty years ago I used to fish with a friend on Delavan as well as a lot of the rivers and creeks in the this area. I always used one of those Zebco 33s. They are a good reel but for the really big hogs they didn't quite fill the bill.
Zebco 33
Cheap as I am I still decided to go ahead and buy some reels that would really do the job. I settled on a couple Shimano Speedmaster reels with around a six to one gear ratio. Neither were the type I was used to with the button you push and backlashes were made almost impossible. It took me a while to master the new type reel but once I did there was no turning back. They cost me about $80.00 each, which back then was a lot for a reel, but forty years later they are still doing the job.

 Like me, they have a few battle scars and show their age but they have paid for themselves many times over. I expect them to last longer than I do. Hopefully my Sons or Grandkids will get the same enjoyment from them I have.
 I still use the thumb push type reels for the light lures but in general these are great. Fran now also used the same general type reel for jigging because she feels there is a more solid contact.
 I know, more than you really wanted to know, but I am anxious for spring!
Ken