YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Monday, May 9, 2016

An interesting trip

Fran and I finally got away for a couple days and went to Southwest Iowa, my home area. Lots of gravel dust, roads called level 8 (use at your own risk, dirt road), closed roads, White paint sprayed on our car by a truck painting center lines, one of the oddest restaurant menus I have ever seen, my home town with the main attraction a big painted rock, trying to find the site of Caledonia Iowa (now a ghost town) where Bonnie and Clyde bought medical supplies to treat their wounds then giving it up due to the roads being impassable, and I could go on.
Now for the more interesting part. We stayed at a very small motel in the middle of nowhere only to find U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley was staying there also. I saw him check out. The desk clerk said he was campaigning.
Among other places we went to Three Mile Lake, off Hiway 35. We just happened to be there during a Crappie tournament. A huge number of boats were on the lake but the fish were not hitting. I was told the water was still too cold, which is odd. Still, a beautiful clear lake with an interesting reader board with lake information. See below...........