YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Saturday, January 16, 2016

An copied post from another site

 This is kind of an odd subject but I have never thought of the concept of "object permanence." I actually had never heard the term. It is ingrained in our psyches at an early age. People like parents are supposed to be forever. It does explain why losing a loved one is so very difficult for us all. They are to be always there. The lady that posted this is obviously a deep thinker.  Ken

My musing about grief this morning...
I watched (ok... listened) as my daughter (2.5 months old now) began to cry a few moments after I stepped into the shower while getting ready this morning. I talked to her, but that really didn't help quell her cries (she was getting hungry again so not seeing me was now "adding insult to injury"). When I got out, she stopped crying and grinned her gummy grin at me for a moment (she also expected me to feed her) and I assured her I never left her, but that it was ok... she just hadn't learned Object Permanence yet.
And then it occurred to me. Object Permanence is a difficult concept to unlearn once it is learned... and maybe that is one reason grief is such a bear.