YOUR MOST IMMEDIATE SOURCE OF CANDLEWICK LAKE NEWS, EVENTS, AND OPINION.
THIS SITE IS INDEPENDENT FROM THE CANDLEWICK LAKE HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dave Syverson's reply to my question on the utility legislation

There was a lot of negotiating on his bill and in the end it passed with only 2 no votes and those 2 were opposed for unrelated issues. The bill was an agreement worked out with the business groups, the ICC, and water systems. My understanding is in agreement for a 2 1/2% rate cap Water systems would be unable to request rate increases at the ICC which could potentially and historically has received higher rates than that, plus have their legal fees included in rates. Even the conservative Illinois Policy Institute was supportive of this negotiations. If we find out this does not work favorably the legislation has a sunset as well as nothing prevents ICC from reviewing underlying rates or rate requests from these water systems. Not that I could've prevented the bill from passing anyways with just 2 no however If this turns not to be favorable to consumers when the bill sunsets the ICC has the ability to review their current rates and make adjustments at that point. That is the proverbial gun to their head. 
Throughout all the negotiations of this legislation I want you to know I did not meet with once or have any discussions with Aqua on this issue since clearly they would be coming at this from a prejudicial point of view. 
Let me know if you have any other further questions.


I told Dave I would pass along his rationale.  Ken